Berberis Darwinii Description
This fast growing evergreen shrub is ideally suited to hedging or as a back of border shrub. Producing masses of golden - orange flowers in spring followed by berries in Autumn. A very hardy all rounder growing to 3m X 3m plus.
Berberis Darwinii - Cultivation Notes
Berberis will tolerate most soil types if well drained. Plant in sun / partial shade, it makes a fantastic vandal proof hedge. Trim to shape after flowering.
Strengths, Weaknesses & Design Usage
Strengths of Berberis Darwinii:
- Scented blossom
- Spiney growth can deter unwanted visitors!
- Attracts wildlife to feed or nest
- All round tough plant suitable for problem areas
- Ideal for fast growing screening
- Evergreen foliage for all year round colour and screening
- Suitable for container growing
- Fruit / berry producing
- Tolerates full sun and sandy, drought-prone soils
- Tolerates cold exposed locations
- Suitable for hedging or topiary
- Tolerates heavy clay soils
Weaknesses of Berberis Darwinii
- Invasive/spreading root growth
- Spiney plant - can scratch young children and gardeners!
Design & Plant Use for Berberis Darwinii:
- Spine bearing plant ideal for security hedge
- Tall summer flowering shrub suitable for back of border planting
- Evergreen plant suitable for trimming to shape or topiary
- Fast growing evergreen plant ideal for screening
- Ideal flowering shrub for problem clay soils
View all the plants listed in Genus Berberis
View other shrubs with orange flowers, or shrubs with medium green foliage