Crataegus laevigata Description
This hardy small to medium sized hardy deciduous tree produces masses of dark pinky / red blossom in spring. Ornamental hawthorn also produces red berries, as well as a profusion of spines. 4m wide x 5m.
Crataegus laevigata - Cultivation Notes
Plant in any garden soil - unless water logged. Hawthorn will tolerate very poor soils and is also hardy to exposure to cold winds. Trim to shape after flowering, removing dead, diseased and dying wood.
Strengths, Weaknesses & Design Usage
Strengths of Crataegus laevigata:
- Sun loving drought tolerant plant
- Scented blossom
- Spiney growth can deter unwanted visitors!
- Attracts wildlife to feed or nest
- All round tough plant suitable for problem areas
- Ideal for fast growing screening
- Fruit / berry producing
- Tolerates cold exposed locations
- Suitable for hedging or topiary
- Tolerates heavy clay soils
Weaknesses of Crataegus laevigata
- Spiney plant - can scratch young children and gardeners!
Design & Plant Use for Crataegus laevigata:
- Spine bearing plant ideal for security hedge
View all the plants listed in Genus Crataegus
View other trees with dark pink flowers, or trees with medium green foliage
Common Missspellings: Cratagus, Crataeges, Crataeges, Krataegus, Kratagus