Deschampsia flexuosa Description
The Tufted hair grass forms slightly weeping loose tussocks. Tufted foliage is bright green and is followed by clouds of hazy purple tinted flowers in spring. Ideal in drifts at front of informal shady border. Also good in a container.
Deschampsia flexuosa - Cultivation Notes
Tufted hair grass prefers a neutral to acid soil in to part shade or sun, making it ideal low growing plantings for woodland shade areas or dappled shade. Avoid planting in dry soils or overly wet heavy clays, preferring a humus rich damp / wet soil type. 15cm tall x 20cm.
Strengths, Weaknesses & Design Usage
Strengths of Deschampsia flexuosa:
- Suitable for container growing
- Architectural plant – ideal as a ‘stand out’ plant
- Attractive form or foliage for all year interest
Weaknesses of Deschampsia flexuosa
- Will not tolerate exposed, cold or hot and sunny locations
- Does not tolerate very dry or very wet soils
Design & Plant Use for Deschampsia flexuosa:
- Ornamental grass for summer long foliage interest
View all the plants listed in Genus Deschampsia
View other ground cover plants with white flowers, or ground cover plants with medium green foliage