Echinops ritro Description
Echinops is suited to mixed sunny borders, flourishing in moist or dry soils. Globe thistles long lasting blossom provides extended interest and its globe like flowers can be either cut for indoor flowers or left to provide height and interest in the winter months, especially when seed heads are frosted.
Echinops ritro - Cultivation Notes
Globe thistle is a tall herbaceous plant that will flourish when planted with other herbaceous plants and grasses. Echinops requires a minimum of inputs but will improve flowering with mulching every few years as well as being divided every few years. In exposed locations flowers might also need staking.
Strengths, Weaknesses & Design Usage
Strengths of Echinops ritro:
- All round tough plant suitable for problem areas
- Tolerates full sun and sandy, drought-prone soils
- Tolerates cold exposed locations
- Tolerates heavy clay soils
Design & Plant Use for Echinops ritro:
- Summer flowering herbaceous plant suitable for border planting
- Ideal for informal cottage garden style planting
View all the plants listed in Genus Echinops
View other herbaceous flowers with light blue flowers, or herbaceous flowers with dark green foliage