Embothrium lanceolatum Description
This exotic looking upward growing tree can rapidly outgrow its planting location, especially if planted in smaller gardens. The tree is covered in masses of vivid red blossom in early summer. During flowering Embothrium is outstanding, but the foliage is also of interest. However the upward habit can cause problems with planting schemes, but this variety is somewhat more compact and garden friendly.
Embothrium lanceolatum - Cultivation Notes
This fast growing medium sized tree needs a premium sheltered spot in the garden to really flourish. It will also benefit from an acidic deep lime free fertile yet well drained soil, being ideal in a sheltered yet sunny woodland spot where it will benefit from occasional mulching with well rotted compost.
Strengths, Weaknesses & Design Usage
Strengths of Embothrium lanceolatum:
- Ideal for fast growing screening
- Evergreen foliage for all year round colour and screening
Weaknesses of Embothrium lanceolatum
- Tender exotic suitable only for very mild areas
- Will not tolerate exposed, cold or hot and sunny locations
- Does not tolerate very dry or very wet soils
Design & Plant Use for Embothrium lanceolatum:
- Fast growing evergreen plant ideal for screening
View all the plants listed in Genus Embothrium
View other shrubs with red flowers, or shrubs with medium green foliage