Imperata cylindrica - 'Rubra' (Japanese Blood Grass)
Imperata cylindrica Description
Blood grass is an excellent ornamental grass for a shelter location. It has outstanding red streaked foliage, which becomes more intense as the year goes on, until in the autumn when the entire leaf turns blood red. This grass looks great in a mid border location or in a pot or tub.
Imperata cylindrica - Cultivation Notes
Imperata requires a fertile moist soil in a sunny spot that is not overly exposed. Blood grass requires plenty of moisture as well as a sheltered spot to avoid bleaching / scorching of the foliage. If you grow in a pot then water regularly. Mulch / divide every 2 - 3 years to improve spread and vigour of the plant.
Strengths, Weaknesses & Design Usage
Strengths of Imperata cylindrica:
Weaknesses of Imperata cylindrica
- Suitable for container growing
- Architectural plant – ideal as a ‘stand out’ plant
Design & Plant Use for Imperata cylindrica:
- Will not tolerate exposed, cold or hot and sunny locations
- Does not produce showy attractive flowers
- Ornamental grass for summer long foliage interest
Emperartor, Imperarta, Emperarta, Emporarta