Salvia verticillata Description
This hardy perennial produces branching racemes of purple blooms throughout the summer. Green foliage is borne on upright branches. A useful herbaceous plant for a mid border location. 1m tall x 50cm.
Salvia verticillata - Cultivation Notes
This hardy Salvia requires a sheltered location in full sun. Salvias require a well drained soil - flourishing on chalky or sandy soils. Cut back after flowering to encourage second flush of bloom. 80cm tall x 45cm.
Strengths, Weaknesses & Design Usage
Strengths of Salvia verticillata:
- All round tough plant suitable for problem areas
- Suitable for container growing
Weaknesses of Salvia verticillata
- Will not tolerate exposed, cold or hot and sunny locations
Design & Plant Use for Salvia verticillata:
- Summer flowering herbaceous plant suitable for border planting
- Tall summer flowering shrub suitable for back of border planting
View all the plants listed in Genus Salvia
View other herbaceous flowers with purple flowers, or herbaceous flowers with medium green foliage