Salvia x sylvestris Description
This hardy perennial produces spikes of dark blue blooms in mid summer. Foliage forms into dense clumps, which are attractive in their own right. A useful herbaceous plant for contrasting with silver foliage plants. 7ocm tall x 50cm.
Salvia x sylvestris - Cultivation Notes
This hardy Salvia requires a sheltered warm location in full sun. Tolerating draughty conditions and flourishing on any decent free draining garden soil and suitable for planting on chalky or sandy soils. Cut back after flowering to encourage second autumnal flush of bloom.
Strengths, Weaknesses & Design Usage
Strengths of Salvia x sylvestris:
- All round tough plant suitable for problem areas
- Suitable for container growing
- Suitable for exposed coastal planting
- Tolerates full sun and sandy, drought-prone soils
Design & Plant Use for Salvia x sylvestris:
- Low growing ground cover planting on dry chalky soils
View all the plants listed in Genus Salvia
View other ground cover plants with dark blue flowers, or ground cover plants with medium green foliage