Aralia elata Description
This fine architectural deciduous produces a profusion of exotic frond like leaves. Foliage is coloured a cream white. Ideal for planting as an specimen or at the back of a bed, but beware of spines on all branches / stems. 5 m tall x 6m.
Aralia elata - Cultivation Notes
Preferring a sheltered area, this smallish tree will flourish any moisture retentive soil and a shelter from cold winds. Prune out any green leafy growth. Ideal for smaller sheltered urban gardens.
Strengths, Weaknesses & Design Usage
Strengths of Aralia elata:
- Ornamental winter bark / tracery
- Spiney growth can deter unwanted visitors!
- Suitable for container growing
- Architectural plant – ideal as a ‘stand out’ plant
- Attractive form or foliage for all year interest
- Tolerates heavy clay soils
Weaknesses of Aralia elata
- Spiney plant - can scratch young children and gardeners!
- Will not tolerate exposed, cold or hot and sunny locations
Design & Plant Use for Aralia elata:
- Added winter interest from attractive bark or stems
View all the plants listed in Genus Aralia
View other trees with white flowers, or trees with medium green foliage