Araucaria arucana (Monkey Puzzle Tree)
Araucaria arucana Description
This evergreen conifer produces long spidery dropping branches which are densely packed with tight dark green leaflets. The architectural form of the Monkey puzzle make it a fine specimen with time.
Araucaria arucana - Cultivation Notes
This slow growing conifer prefers a milder climate - and is prone to frost damage - especially when young. It prefers a moist fertile soil, but will tolerate windy conditions and is suitable for plant near the coast.
Strengths, Weaknesses & Design Usage
Strengths of Araucaria arucana:
Weaknesses of Araucaria arucana
- Sun loving drought tolerant plant
- Ornamental winter bark / tracery
- Spiney growth can deter unwanted visitors!
- All round tough plant suitable for problem areas
- Provides valuable winter interest
- Evergreen foliage for all year round colour and screening
- Architectural plant – ideal as a ‘stand out’ plant
- Attractive form or foliage for all year interest
- Tolerates full sun and sandy, drought-prone soils
- Tolerates cold exposed locations
Design & Plant Use for Araucaria arucana:
- Spiney plant - can scratch young children and gardeners!
- Does not produce showy attractive flowers
- Evergreen plant with attractive foliage for winter interest
- Conifer with outstanding foliage colour for winter interest
- Added winter interest from attractive bark or stems
Arucana, Arocana, Aurocana