Berberis julianae Description
This evergreen medium sized shrub is prized for its graceful arching habit and display of orange - yellow spring blossom. Ideal as informal hedge or screen at rear of bed. 3m tall x 2.5m wide.
Berberis julianae - Cultivation Notes
Berberis will tolerate most soil types if well drained. Plant in sun / partial shade, it makes a fantastic vandal proof hedge. Trim to shape after flowering.
Strengths, Weaknesses & Design Usage
Strengths of Berberis julianae:
- Scented blossom
- Spiney growth can deter unwanted visitors!
- Attracts wildlife to feed or nest
- All round tough plant suitable for problem areas
- Ideal for fast growing screening
- Evergreen foliage for all year round colour and screening
- Suitable for container growing
- Fruit / berry producing
- Tolerates full sun and sandy, drought-prone soils
- Tolerates cold exposed locations
- Suitable for hedging or topiary
- Tolerates heavy clay soils
Weaknesses of Berberis julianae
- Invasive/spreading root growth
- Spiney plant - can scratch young children and gardeners!
Design & Plant Use for Berberis julianae:
- Spine bearing plant ideal for security hedge
- Tall summer flowering shrub suitable for back of border planting
- Evergreen plant suitable for trimming to shape or topiary
- Fast growing evergreen plant ideal for screening
- Ideal flowering shrub for problem clay soils
View all the plants listed in Genus Berberis
View other shrubs with orange flowers, or shrubs with medium green foliage