Centranthus ruber Description
This easy growing clump forming perennial has attractive silver green succulent foliage crowned by pinky red frothy blossom throughout the summer months. It can be grown in a mixed border or naturalised in rockery / walling.
Centranthus ruber - Cultivation Notes
Valerian will grow on most well drained soils, especially chalky and coastal locations where it grows wild. Centranthus requires full sun to look its best and should be cut back in winter. It will self seed readily. 60cm by 60cm.
Strengths, Weaknesses & Design Usage
Strengths of Centranthus ruber:
- Sun loving drought tolerant plant
- Attracts wildlife to feed or nest
- All round tough plant suitable for problem areas
- Suitable for exposed coastal planting
- Tolerates full sun and sandy, drought-prone soils
Design & Plant Use for Centranthus ruber:
- Summer flowering herbaceous plant suitable for border planting
- Ideal for informal cottage garden style planting
View all the plants listed in Genus Centranthus
View other herbaceous flowers with dark pink flowers, or herbaceous flowers with silver foliage