Embothrium coccineum (Chilean Fire Bush)
Embothrium coccineum Description
This exotic looking upward growing tree can rapidly outgrow its planting location, especially if planted in smaller gardens. The tree is covered in masses of vivid red blossom in early summer. During flowering it becomes the standout plant in any garden; but the foliage is also of interest; however the upward habit can cause problems with planting schemes.
Embothrium coccineum - Cultivation Notes
This fast growing tree needs a premium sheltered spot in the garden to really flourish. It prefers an acidic soil will also benefit from a deep lime free fertile yet well drained soil, being ideal in a sheltered yet sunny woodland spot where it will benefit from occasional mulching with well rotted compost.
Strengths, Weaknesses & Design Usage
Strengths of Embothrium coccineum:
Weaknesses of Embothrium coccineum
- Ideal for fast growing screening
- Evergreen foliage for all year round colour and screening
- Architectural plant – ideal as a ‘stand out’ plant
Design & Plant Use for Embothrium coccineum:
- Tender exotic suitable only for very mild areas
- Will not tolerate exposed, cold or hot and sunny locations
- Does not tolerate very dry or very wet soils
- Fast growing evergreen plant ideal for screening