Ilex aquifolium - 'Watereriana'
Ilex aquifolium - Cultivation Notes
Holly prefers a well drained yet fertile soil in full sun / part shade. Most are hardy yet slow growing making an excellent evergreen hedge. Prune to shape in autumn.
Strengths, Weaknesses & Design Usage
Strengths of Ilex aquifolium:
Weaknesses of Ilex aquifolium
- Spiney growth can deter unwanted visitors!
- All round tough plant suitable for problem areas
- Ideal for fast growing screening
- Provides valuable winter interest
- Evergreen foliage for all year round colour and screening
- Suitable for container growing
- Architectural plant – ideal as a ‘stand out’ plant
- Fruit / berry producing
- Attractive form or foliage for all year interest
- Tolerates full sun and sandy, drought-prone soils
- Tolerates cold exposed locations
- Suitable for hedging or topiary
- Tolerates heavy clay soils
- Suitable for planting in full shade
Design & Plant Use for Ilex aquifolium:
- Spiney plant - can scratch young children and gardeners!
- Does not produce showy attractive flowers
- Spine bearing plant ideal for security hedge
- Evergreen plant suitable for trimming to shape or topiary
- Evergreen plant with attractive foliage for winter interest
- Evergreen shrub suitable for planting in a shady location
Eylex, Illex, Ilix, Eyelics.Eyelixs