Kalmia latifolia Description
Calico Bush is grown for its impressive displays of late spring blossom, however it also has attractive deep green foliage that provides a good back drop for other flowering plants during the summer months. Well suited to naturalistic woodland planting.
Kalmia latifolia - Cultivation Notes
Kalmia prefers a fertile moisture retentive soil, preferably on acidic soil, being commonly plant among Rhododendrons and other acidic loving plants. It can grow in full sun or shade and produces better blossom in a well lit planting location. Water regularly during dry periods and mulch in winter.
Strengths, Weaknesses & Design Usage
Strengths of Kalmia latifolia:
- Ideal for fast growing screening
- Evergreen foliage for all year round colour and screening
- Suitable for container growing
- Attractive form or foliage for all year interest
Design & Plant Use for Kalmia latifolia:
- Tall summer flowering shrub suitable for back of border planting
- Evergreen shrub suitable suitable for training up a wall
View all the plants listed in Genus Kalmia
View other shrubs with white flowers, or shrubs with dark green foliage
Common Missspellings: Calmia, Kalmea, Calmea