Pyracantha coccinea - Cultivation Notes
Firethorn is a tough no fuss shrub. It flourishes in most soils, avoiding chalky areas, in sun or part shade - it tolerates cold well and grows fast. Prune to shape in spring or tie in to wall / fence or shape as hedge by reducing leaders in summer.
Strengths, Weaknesses & Design Usage
Strengths of Pyracantha coccinea:
- Spiney growth can deter unwanted visitors!
- Attracts wildlife to feed or nest
- All round tough plant suitable for problem areas
- Fruit / berry producing
- Tolerates full sun and sandy, drought-prone soils
- Tolerates cold exposed locations
- Tolerates heavy clay soils
Weaknesses of Pyracantha coccinea
- Spiney plant - can scratch young children and gardeners!
Design & Plant Use for Pyracantha coccinea:
- Ideal flowering shrub for problem clay soils
View all the plants listed in Genus Pyracantha
View other ground cover plants with white flowers, or ground cover plants with medium green foliage