Acanthus hungaricus - Cultivation Notes
This herbaceous perennial flourishes in any deep fertile soil with good drainage, requiring full light to grow. Once established do not disturb roots. Requires plenty of room to grow and occasional staking for taller flower spikes.
Strengths, Weaknesses & Design Usage
Strengths of Acanthus hungaricus:
- Sun loving drought tolerant plant
- Spiney growth can deter unwanted visitors!
- All round tough plant suitable for problem areas
- Architectural plant – ideal as a ‘stand out’ plant
- Suitable for exposed coastal planting
- Tolerates full sun and sandy, drought-prone soils
- Tolerates heavy clay soils
Weaknesses of Acanthus hungaricus
- Spiney plant - can scratch young children and gardeners!
Design & Plant Use for Acanthus hungaricus:
- Summer flowering herbaceous plant suitable for border planting
View all the plants listed in Genus Acanthus
View other ground cover plants with purple flowers, or ground cover plants with medium green foliage
Common Missspellings: Akanthus, Acanthis, Ackanthus, Akanthes, Acanthius