Berberis X stenophylla Description
This evergreen medium sized shrub is prized for its graceful arching habit and display of orange - yellow spring blossom. Ideal as informal hedge or screen at rear of bed. 3m tall x 2.5m wide.
Berberis X stenophylla - Cultivation Notes
Berberis will flourish in most well drained soils, tolerating all but the poorest of soils. Plant in full sun for best foliage and flowering. Berberis is fully hardy - tolerating exposed locations. Prune to shape in spring - removing older wood to base.
Strengths, Weaknesses & Design Usage
Strengths of Berberis X stenophylla:
- Scented blossom
- Spiney growth can deter unwanted visitors!
- Attracts wildlife to feed or nest
- All round tough plant suitable for problem areas
- Ideal for fast growing screening
- Evergreen foliage for all year round colour and screening
- Fruit / berry producing
- Tolerates full sun and sandy, drought-prone soils
- Tolerates cold exposed locations
- Suitable for hedging or topiary
- Tolerates heavy clay soils
Weaknesses of Berberis X stenophylla
- Spiney plant - can scratch young children and gardeners!
Design & Plant Use for Berberis X stenophylla:
- Spine bearing plant ideal for security hedge
- Evergreen plant suitable for trimming to shape or topiary
- Evergreen shrub suitable suitable for training up a wall
- Ideal flowering shrub for problem clay soils
View all the plants listed in Genus Berberis
View other shrubs with yellow flowers, or shrubs with dark green foliage
Common Missspellings: Berbaris, Berberas, Barberis, Burbaris, Burberis