Cynara cardunculus - Cultivation Notes
Cardoon will flourish in any well drained soil, especially chalky soils. Preferring a position in full sun - ideal for a hot, dry south facing border.
Strengths, Weaknesses & Design Usage
Strengths of Cynara cardunculus:
- Sun loving drought tolerant plant
- Spiney growth can deter unwanted visitors!
- Architectural plant – ideal as a ‘stand out’ plant
- Tolerates full sun and sandy, drought-prone soils
Weaknesses of Cynara cardunculus
- Invasive top growth
- Spiney plant - can scratch young children and gardeners!
Design & Plant Use for Cynara cardunculus:
- Summer flowering herbaceous plant suitable for border planting
- Architectural plant with dramatic foliage suitable for hot dry spot
- Ideal for planting within the herb garden
- Ideal for informal cottage garden style planting
- Herbaceous plant with culinary usage
View all the plants listed in Genus Cynara
View other herbaceous flowers with purple flowers, or herbaceous flowers with silver foliage
Common Missspellings: Cinara, Cynarea, Siynara