Dasylirion acrotrichum Description
This exotic looking yucca like evergreen shrub might be better classified as a grass given its arching grass like silver green foilage. It makes a fantastic statment plant in a container and provides all year architectural interest.
Dasylirion acrotrichum - Cultivation Notes
Dasylirion originates in the arid upland deserts of Mexico. It can tolerate colder conditions making in hardy for sheltered planting in the UK and it will tolerate a mix of soils just as long as they are well drained. Plant in a sunny sheltered location and consider planting in a container for protection over winter.
Strengths, Weaknesses & Design Usage
Strengths of Dasylirion acrotrichum:
- Sun loving drought tolerant plant
- Spiney growth can deter unwanted visitors!
- Evergreen foliage for all year round colour and screening
- Suitable for container growing
- Architectural plant – ideal as a ‘stand out’ plant
- Tolerates full sun and sandy, drought-prone soils
Weaknesses of Dasylirion acrotrichum
- Spiney plant - can scratch young children and gardeners!
- Does not produce showy attractive flowers
Design & Plant Use for Dasylirion acrotrichum:
- Outstanding large evergreen foliage
- Ornamental grass for summer long foliage interest
- Low growing alpine plant flourishing in a dry sunny location
- Ornamental grass ideal for drift planting in a sunny spot
View all the plants listed in Genus Dasylirion
View other types of alpines with grey foliage