Eryngium planum - Cultivation Notes
Eryngium's like it a sunny warm location with reasonably fertile yet never wet soil. Ideal for a border in full sun. Cut back to ground in autumn and avoid planting where foliage will be drowned by surrounding plants. Flower spikes might need staking.
Strengths, Weaknesses & Design Usage
Strengths of Eryngium planum:
- Spiney growth can deter unwanted visitors!
- All round tough plant suitable for problem areas
- Suitable for container growing
- Architectural plant – ideal as a ‘stand out’ plant
- Suitable for exposed coastal planting
- Tolerates full sun and sandy, drought-prone soils
Weaknesses of Eryngium planum
- Spiney plant - can scratch young children and gardeners!
Design & Plant Use for Eryngium planum:
- Summer flowering herbaceous plant suitable for border planting
View all the plants listed in Genus Eryngium
View other herbaceous flowers with dark blue flowers, or herbaceous flowers with grey foliage