Eryngium tripartitum - Cultivation Notes
Eryngium's like it a sunny warm location with reasonably fertile yet never wet soil, being ideal for a dry border in full sun. Cut back to ground in autumn and avoid planting where foliage will be drowned by surrounding plants. Taller flower spikes might need support. Ideal for planting in a dry border with grasses.
Strengths, Weaknesses & Design Usage
Strengths of Eryngium tripartitum:
- Sun loving drought tolerant plant
- Spiney growth can deter unwanted visitors!
- All round tough plant suitable for problem areas
- Suitable for container growing
- Architectural plant – ideal as a ‘stand out’ plant
- Suitable for exposed coastal planting
- Tolerates full sun and sandy, drought-prone soils
Weaknesses of Eryngium tripartitum
- Spiney plant - can scratch young children and gardeners!
Design & Plant Use for Eryngium tripartitum:
- Summer flowering herbaceous plant suitable for border planting
View all the plants listed in Genus Eryngium
View other herbaceous flowers with dark blue flowers, or herbaceous flowers with silver foliage