Araucaria arucana Description
This evergreen conifer produces long spidery dropping branches which are densely packed with tight dark green leaflets. The architectural form of the Monkey puzzle make it a fine specimen with time.
Araucaria arucana - Cultivation Notes
This slow growing conifer prefers a milder climate - and is prone to frost damage - especially when young. It prefers a moist fertile soil, but will tolerate windy conditions and is suitable for plant near the coast.
Strengths, Weaknesses & Design Usage
Strengths of Araucaria arucana:
- Sun loving drought tolerant plant
- Ornamental winter bark / tracery
- Spiney growth can deter unwanted visitors!
- All round tough plant suitable for problem areas
- Provides valuable winter interest
- Evergreen foliage for all year round colour and screening
- Architectural plant – ideal as a ‘stand out’ plant
- Attractive form or foliage for all year interest
- Tolerates full sun and sandy, drought-prone soils
- Tolerates cold exposed locations
Weaknesses of Araucaria arucana
- Spiney plant - can scratch young children and gardeners!
- Does not produce showy attractive flowers
Design & Plant Use for Araucaria arucana:
- Evergreen plant with attractive foliage for winter interest
- Conifer with outstanding foliage colour for winter interest
- Added winter interest from attractive bark or stems
View all the plants listed in Genus Araucaria
View other types of conifers with medium green foliage
Common Missspellings: Arucana, Arocana, Aurocana