Echinops setifer Description
Echinops is suited to mixed sunny borders, flourishing in dry soils. Globe thistles long lasting blossom provides extended interest and its globe like flowers can be either cut for indoor flowers or left to provide height and interest in the winter months, especially when seed heads are frosted.
Echinops setifer - Cultivation Notes
Echinops is a medium to tall herbaceous plant that will flourish when planted with other herbaceous plants and grasses. Echinops requires a minimum of inputs but will improve flowering with mulching every few years as well as being divided every few years. In exposed locations flowers might also need staking.
Strengths, Weaknesses & Design Usage
Strengths of Echinops setifer:
- Sun loving drought tolerant plant
- Provides valuable winter interest
- Suitable for exposed coastal planting
- Tolerates full sun and sandy, drought-prone soils
- Tolerates cold exposed locations
- Tolerates heavy clay soils
Design & Plant Use for Echinops setifer:
- Ideal for informal cottage garden style planting
View all the plants listed in Genus Echinops
View other herbaceous flowers with dark blue flowers, or herbaceous flowers with dark green foliage